1.5K views
Featured 100% full Not resolved

My boyfriend was making our daily salads to take to work.He had found a delicious looking recipe that called for baby spinach.

He went to our local Giant grocery store and purchased 2 bags of Giant brand Premium Salad Baby Spinach. He asked me if he needed to wash the spinach before making the salad and I told him to read what the bag said. It said Triple Washed- All Natural- No Preservatives. So we figured it would be find to just dump the bag in a couple containers for the salads.

The next day at work I was enjoying this delicious salad. I JUMPED out of my chair when I noticed a horrific insect with a head, antennas and outstretched arms that had been mixed in with my spinach.

I I had to take a picture of this insect in my salad.Horrific- I don't think I'll be able to eat spinach again.

Had an Experience with Foodhold Usa?

Comments

OK, here's the thing: Yes the OP should have washed the food first.Simple mistake that I'm sure they won't make again.

And yes, it's "just a bug" which can appear in any garden vegetable. I get that. But what about broken glass? Is that acceptable?

How about pineneedles? Some human hair perhaps? I've personally had many problems w/this company's quality control. The prices at Stop & Shop are always a bit lower than another market near me, especially during a sale.

But I've come to wonder exactly WHY are they less expensive?

There has to be a reason they can be so competitive and still make a decent profit, and based on my experience I believe it's cost-cutting in many areas, especially quality control and purchasing "B-grade"/factory-second products (..I found a bug in a NAME BRAND coffee bought there, and other products).I'm going to stay away from them from now on.

flippette
Salisbury, North Carolina, United States #965266

ALWAYS WASH ALL FRUITS AND VEGETABLES, NO MATTER WHAT. Geez.

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden #865427

As long as salad greens are grown outside in the dirt you run the risk of a bug.*** get over it people.

It is a bug.It won't kill you.

Sorry to read people are saying "get over it" - unbelievable!!!!They would not be saying that if they found a bug staring at them in their salad.

Online people are so rude these days, its really amazing. They would never say the things they say online to people in person. The internet is really turning our society into a lot of rude people who do not think they need manners. It's very sad.

I found two pine needles in my spinach today.

"Triple Washed" should take out insects and pine needles. This stuff is about twice the price of non organic lettuce, they can afford to remove things like bugs and pine needles. I'm writing them a letter and publishing all of this on my blog.

I will NEVER buy food from this company again. Unfortunately they are one of the only organic brands in my grocery store.

*** I'm going to just start growing my own.These organic companies are ripping off the public.

to anonymous Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden #865428

Growing your own means you will get your own bugs from your own garden for free....who the *** you going to complain to or blame then?????????

to anonymous #990363

As long as you want your farmers product cheap, look it over. Just because its in a bag doesn't make it perfect.

Leesburg, Virginia, United States #790044

I've never seen packaged vegetables that guaranteed the absence of bugs. When you buy vegetables in a bag or container, there is always the risk there will be bugs included.

lbabydoll
to melissa #790051

The FDA permits a certain degree of insects, such as worms or aphids, so long as their presence doesn't compromise the aesthetic quality of the food. This grasshopper was huge. You probably can't tell in the picture but I am sure I would of notice a change of flavor with the crunch.

tommander
North Adams, Massachusetts, United States #777309

"So we figured it would be find to just dump the bag in a couple containers for the salads." LOL classic

lbabydoll
to tommander #790052

Horrible spelling of mine..It was honestly the first time I've ever not wash my bagged veggies.

Never again!:p